Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Monday, June 2, 2008

A Shakespearean Sonnet

You seem to think you cannot die, only
there are truths which I am obliged to tell.
It's better to lie in the earth, lonely,
than suffer an eternity of hell.
I'd rather not say that things are so bad,
but forever is an awfully long time
to worry and fret and lose what you've had;
as friends pass away, you endlessly rhyme.
To what end? To seek immortality
in the land where all else away must fade?
Though your choice, I urge you to listen to me:
immortal Time will yet dull the knife's blade.
-----True wisdom I think is in letting go.
-----Nevertheless, what the hell do I know?

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to comment on this for a while. First things first, the ending wins. Aside from that, though, it's interesting and I like it. You did the sonnet form quite well, but that's not why you wrote it I suppose. The reason usually goes to the message and here it is one I agree with very much.

    ReplyDelete