Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Abandon All Fear, Ye Who Enter Here

So I told a friend of mine that I had based a character off of her in one of my posts (not saying which one) and she told me how scared she wast to read it, which I found funny... until I realized that I was just as scared for her to read it. No writer wants a person to be offended by their writing, let alone writing that involves characters directly influenced by that person.

Before I got her feedback, I was a little worried, and thought maybe I had made a mistake in telling her about it at all. But then I was like, wait... that's stupid.

We need to talk to each other. Not my friend and I specifically, but all of us as people. We need to share experiences and emotions and stories and our lives.

As I've said before, "We must, as a society, overcome the fear of addressing strangers in broad daylight." While that's not directly relevant to a friendship, it carries the same spirit.

I'm tired of being afraid of how people will interpret what I say. Why not just say it, and correct them if they're mistaken? The thing is, few as they may be compared to others, I have friends. And yeah, I want to meet new people and make more friends but if for example that doesn't work out it's okay.

In a way it's learning to live more with less, which is a sentiment I can latch on to.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like that sentiment. Also, nice to see a post in the old style. Addressing the reader 'n whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, in my experience, people generally equate being corrected for "OMFG YOU'RE AN IDIOT." I have less than five friends who understand that when I correct them, I've realized it's my fault they don't understand, not theirs.

    ReplyDelete