Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Be kind...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.

I don't really believe that. Of course, I've never been much of an absolutist. That is, anyone I meet might be fighting a harder battle. Isn't it all conditional? Don't be nice because you have things better, be nice because it's the right thing to do. I guess my opponents will chalk that down to my religious beliefs. To hell with them. You have to bring a man in to beat down his writing, it just means you're not man enough to do it yourself. But anyway, back on topic... it's the right thing to do, I won't lie... that is the Christian edict. Even in the sermon I heard just this morning our Vicar said that every commandment can be boiled down to "love your neighbor as yourself." Though, that was straight from scripture so I guess I shouldn't glorify the Vicar over it. But he's spreading it, just as I am now, and that takes a courage all its own. So yes, it is a Christian ideal - not exclusively of course. And that's the point. Taking religion out of the picture, is being unconditionally nice still the right thing to do? I think so. Why? Think about it - it may not work out so well in todays society... but why? Because not everyone is doing it. Not everyone is being kind to one another. Imagine if they did just that. That's my point. I suppose I could count religion along with that, but I won't violate your trust nor insult your intelligence - that's key. Thats an important step that a lot of people miss.

1 comment:

  1. You write, why is being unconditionally nice the right thing to do? I think this quote is meant to answer that question exactly. You be nice to people because you arent sure about what they have been through and what they are going through at that moment. This quote challenges people to initially assume that others have it worse than them. It is just a reminder that we aren't the only ones with problems and we never really know what problems others could be dealing with.

    ReplyDelete