Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Time to Take Responsibility

I'm back.

No.

Yes.

No.

I'm sorry, old friend, but that's the way it is.

I don't have to listen to you.

No, you're right about that. You don't ever have to listen to a word I say... but you will.

...

Don't be so down. You're just like any other.

...

You knew I'd be back eventually! I mean, honestly, did you think you could run forever?

I'm not.

Not what?

Not like any other.

Of course, of course. How could I have not seen? Every day I attend to thousands - millions of people. Each and every one of them the same. But you. You're special. You're... different. How could I have mistaken you for one of them. So sorry to inconvenience you, I'll be on my way then.

...

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. I'm not making good people do bad things. I'm keeping bad people from doing good things. I'm not trying to alter you in any way. You don't have to change to be accepted by me. I accept thousands a day just the way they are. Cold and lifeless.

...

I seem to remember you being more talkative the last time we met. What happened?

You're right.

I'm right you were more talkative last time or you realized I was right while I was away?

You're right right now.

It's about time you came to your senses.

Yes. It is about time.

Well then, should we proceed wi-

It's about time I realized who you are and where you come from.

...I'm the devil, son. I come from hell. Surely you know this?

You're not the devil and you're not from hell.

...Alright. I'll play your game. If I'm not the devil, then who am I?

...

Well?

Surely you already know.

Why?

Because you're me.

1 comment: