Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Friday, August 22, 2008

Re: Wishes

Quote: Raeder on Wishes

Then tell me, Matt Lund, what the point of prayer is.


To be quite honest, I haven't really nailed down the point of prayer. I mean, I know that it's our way of communicating directly with God (even though we don't have to pray to communicate with him, since we live in him etc...), but aside from that... I don't think we can know.

However, to focus on the moment at hand, I would like to differentiate between wishes and prayer. And I say this not because it was part of my plan during the composition of Wishes, but because Raeder brings a very good point to my attention.

But I would say that prayer is different than a wish. Prayer is a wish and much more; it is a wish directed to God. Even then, I haven't captured it. It is, as I said above, communication with God. The concept that people pray to God for things is a flawed misinterpretation of its actuality. Now, obviously that's the most recognizable way it is used - it's the way we see it used in movies and books and the media.

Here is a good theological essay on prayer, if you have the time. I don't want to do a copypasta, but look especially at numbers 5, 8, and 9. Note, however, that this is an LCMS Lutheran theological site, and therefore a LCMS Lutheran theological essay. In case that matters at all to you.

I can say from my Christian education that there are three main types of prayer - petitions, praise, and thanksgiving. Petitions are when you invoke the name of the Lord for whatever-it-is you need to invoke his name for (without violating the second commandment). Praise is for... well, they say that the more credit you give your readers, the more respect they will give you in turn, so I'll just say that praise is for exactly what you think it's for. Aaaand the same goes for thanksgiving.

So, altogether more than a wish, though wishes can fit under the category of petitions. As long as you a) address it to the Lord, and b) invoke the name of the Lord (i.e. call on his will, that it may or may not be done as he sees right).

1 comment:

  1. i think prayer is a form of meditation. it calms the soul in a hectic world by taking some time and peacefully organizing some thoughts together.

    ReplyDelete