Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Re: Firsts (and a bit on change, too)

I hope that Andy doesn't mind me putting him on the spot... but he did post it publicly (Firsts), so... whatever. This is in no way directed towards him or really his idea - just me musing on what he said.

i think its important that when change is no longer forced upon people, people need to take the initiative and force change upon themselves. we deal with a lot of change during our younger years and grow up a lot (mentally). but eventually, people settle down into their job and their routines and never change again, thus never growing again. change is hard but change is good.

I have a post about change as compared to redefinition, and to be quite honest it's not very... deep. It was basically me attempt to recategorize the word change into terms I could use without fear of being misunderstood. For me, to everything there is a good and a bad. There is nothing that is anything (in this world) which can claim perfection, or absolute evil for that matter.

Everything is based on perspective. Some think change and they think opportunity. Others feel fear. Which one is right? Neither. So I took the "positive" term, called it redefinition, and took the "negative" for change. It's just semantics.

But I want to ask where we get the different ideas concerning change. Why do some fear it and others embrace? Do we eventually do both in the span of our lives?

When it's all said and done, Andy hit my point right on the head: the point I was unconsciously making in Firsts was that I'm running out of an entity that I'm all too familiar with. The first of something. It's a fear, but also a sadness. Like losing an old friend and not knowing if I'll make any new ones.

But I'm not running out of all of my firsts, just the mandatory ones. I have unlimited potential to change, to do new things, to have new firsts. First book published. First life changed. (Or maybe I've already done that one...) To change for the better. Change for the worse. Change because I go where I choose and if I choose where I go, that's the way things are.

2 comments:

  1. Yup... Thats exactly it.

    And the thing is, we'll all soon figure out how we react when we become comfortable with our adults selves. When we have a comfortable job, a comfortable girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband, a comfortable home, etc. how will we respond? Because if we choose to stay comfortable, that is when we stop growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, do you really run out of a first you never knew you've used? IE. Changing a life.

    ReplyDelete