Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Friday, March 13, 2009

Letter 2: Library

John,

I'm envious of one thing right off the bat--I don't really remember how I meet people. I might remember the odd anecdote about close friends (and not close ones--these are the most fun because they have no idea why I remember personal things about them from the first grade). I met one friend while playing in the band for graduation. I've met others in classes, at jobs, and at church. But nothing stands out that is so anecdotal as yours, and that makes me sad, even though I know that it doesn't really play a part in the quality of a friendship.

Also, I have to thank you for reminding me about that social network thing I had in mind. I remember having an intense feeling of pleasure when I came up with the name because I found it clever. (You'll remember Ner0, utilizing the phonetic sounds of n, er, and a 0 to represent a circle... inner circle... oh, the memories of failed attempts at glory)

I have to say, one of the greatest things about the English major is that... there is no weed out. At all. I've mentioned this before, I'm sure, but I didn't even have to write anything to apply! To the English major! Of course, the real gold mine (the Creative Writing track) has a terrifying 13% acceptance rate.

FYI, sprink break is a more commonly used term for the spring break that falls ludicrously before my own. I still find your baking of bread quite fascinating. It's not usually on people's list of, say, hobbies. Which isn't to say it's a bad thing--there are two types of food: good bread and everything else.

(All of my paragraphs start with "I." Hopefully that doesn't mean I'm self-absorbed...)

And by all means, buy a camera. You should know as well as I do that little is more liberating than the artistic process (why isn't there an artistic method to compliment the scientific one?) no matter what form it takes. What you need to do is get hired at an office store, and have that office store be closed down, and buy a discount camera like I did.

As for a "blog war," you'll find that in conversation proceeded thus: "let's have an epic blog back and forth." I am now of the belief that you inserted the term "war" yourself, which leads me to be concerned about your current psychological state (not really). But if it is a battle of the wits you desire, you shall have one!

---

Library
inspired by:
Ode to the Lonely Hearted - Sugar Ray

Library closing in, voices crowd out
thoughts of finals that arguably,
occupying your time, would be of more use.
Honestly, here? You could socialize at
a cafe, or a park. An ice cream parlor
a dormitory lounge, a trendy restaurant,
or, hey, a group study room.
Yet chatting frustrates
not because of the library, but
because it reminds me of all the voices
that don't say anything
to me

---

How's that? (Aside from emo)

-Matt
---

Response 1

Letter 1

1 comment: