Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Notemaker Ballad

Who, I ask (not knowing why,
or what, or how, or when), am I?
I've asked before, and thought I knew
but always am I reduced to
the thought that maybe in the end
a man alone is man's best friend.
It's not a thought I'd like to keep
but if I don't soon make a leap
it's in this frame of mind I'll stay
no matter what I do or say.
God dammit! Why can't I break free
of social norms constricting me?
I speak as freely as I can
but never do I take the chance
that's laid before me plain to see.
In times like these it's time to be
a one man aristocracy;
to claim the right to speak my mind,
remove myself from daily grind,
destroy the chains that bind the heart
and force us all to stay apart.
For if I play by culture's rule,
and slave along as if a tool
I'll only serve to build a wall
dividing us from one for all.
And all for one will be a dream
that flashes on the silver screen
before the nightman takes us out
because our life is not about
the unity of common man
but sticking to a silly plan
of iron covered up with gold
and all our virtues being sold
to money for a killer deal
because we don't know how to feel
anything anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment