Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thank You: Danny Elfman

The beauty of art is not inherent in the art itself. For me, the beauty of art is how it takes on new life in the eyes or ears of the viewers, the listeners, the readers. The way it touches people, the way it acts as a communicative tool of shared experience. The way it gives voice to those feelings we might not so easily express through more standard means of speech and thought.

Art is the link that transcends our mediocrity.

And for all this, I am indebted to artists of all sorts; men and women of all races and identites across the globe. Today I want to give my thanks in particular to Danny Elfman, hollywood composer and music director for many various works (in my case, I'm referring to the Terminator Salvation soundtrack).

If Mr. Elfman is master of nothing else, it is his pention for stirring string intervals layered over a solidly mounting low brass key change. There is a presence in his work that I cannot deny, and one that I cannot quite put to words either, so I'll suffice to say thank you and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment