Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Don't Call it a Comeback

If you did that, it would insinuate that my previous state was a state of failure. That somehow, I had something to come back too. That's just not so. I don't know what I can tell you - how to make it sound, I don't know, intelligible. I've suffered loss. I've suffered heartbreak, but who hasn't? In that respect my recent victories are no more of a comeback than a kid who picks himself up from a fall. Now, that's something I can latch onto. Everyone falls. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with the phrase "come back." It's the major theme of one of my favorite songs. It's just as romantic and versatile as any phrase out there. It just doesn't apply. I'm moving forward, if anything, to places I've never been. And that, to me, is much more admirable than a "comeback." What is this anyway? A baseball game? I'm sick and tired of people comparing life to a game. Using phrases like "winners" and "losers." Again, metaphors are great, but for me they just don't apply. I start going down that road, I might not make it back. That's the road I used to take, assigning value to words and phrases thinking that somehow they would rise up and liberate me from - what? Myself. Though I didn't know it at the time. See, we exist in an isolated system. You, me, my dog. Each of us only having the perception of numero uno -a one-of-a-kind superhuman me. Right? That's a trap in itself. Isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment