Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Windswept

Across the oceans yet unknown to man
We found ourselves lost
Against our prow rolled the mists of the waters below
Much as dew on the first of spring's leaves
Fear came then in the form of a wave
And though it left us true we felt it break against our spirits
Adrift in the unknown, no light to give chase
No sound to guide us hence, nor any comfort in the form of a vision
Lose a man in the mists and his true form shines through
Burning through the fog as the sun
We are the most who we fear others to know

I saw the fear grip my men and I forced myself to stand strong
My duty is to them, my heart to their hearts, my life for theirs.
It is the life of a captain, and so I roused them on the deck.
"Many there were who departed our homeland,
and many have died at the hands of our enemies."
Their faces grew somber, and I went on.
"Yet let not despair take your hearts! For we alone live.
Though these waters give us Hell we know.
We know that we have faced Hell once before,
and in the face of the Devil we flew our banner high."
The men murmured their agreement.
"And when that day was done, we made those bastards remember!
We made them remember that we are the Tempest!"

A cheer rose up and warmed the hearts of all around.
"Now to the riggings men! To the ship!
To new lands, and to new lives!
Where once we went by the order of the consolate,
we now go of our own free will!
I tell you men, we are not lost. If anything we are found!
To the ship!"

Commentary

No comments:

Post a Comment