Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Always Two, Never More

I was talking with a friend recently, helping him with a few issues. I told him that his happiness should be his number one priority. Not because I like breeding an army of self-centered citizens, marching off to destroy the world. It's because I'm a firm believer in the idea tha tyou must secure your own airmask before assisting others. Do I think that this breeds arrogance and contempt in others? In some cases. But as much as it seems like that would fuel a non-beneficial race to achieving a legacy, I think it will actually discourage the notion.

How? you might ask yourself. How can a person focusing solely on themselves not become arrogant and self-centered?

There are two circles of existance. Always two, never more. One is the circle of individuality - the other of society, community, whatever you'd like to call it.

By reinforcing one, you reinforce the other. They do not share an inverse relationship. By increasing your knowledge of yourself, you increase your capacity - not your level - of understanding about others.

There is no shame in putting on your airmask first. BUT IF YOU DO IT WRONG, everyone dies.

1 comment:

  1. First off, let me say that I didn't mean to steal your title, just a line for my blog... then I came back and saw your title... whoops. Anyways, it goes without saying that you're an inspiring person.

    ReplyDelete