Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Are You Excited?

High School is ending soon. In less than a month, to be exact. Do you know what that means? What it entails? I don't.

You know, people keep asking me "Are you excited?" and may or may not be taken aback by my standard reply of "About what?"

"School ending, of course!" And then their utter dissapointment - and maybe even disbelief - when I say quite simply, "No." And why should I be? Why do people my age value College so highly above High School?

I can think of a few reasons, I must admit, but none of which can warrant an emotion such as excitement. First of all, the idiots are gone. Yeah, all those kids who thought hey, I can drop out at age 16 and you sat on the sidelines cheering "Yes! YES! DO IT!" until you reached the ultimate of dissapointments. Yes, they came to the realization that, after investing 11 years in the public schooling system, they might as well finish it out. Damn. But worry not, because they won't follow you into college! That's not to say, of course, that you will completely without the occasionally challenged scholar, but any improvement is good, right?

What else? Oh, some of you are moving out, living on your own... and while I'm not moving out (for this year at least) I still can't see the excitement there. Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there Dommy. You can't see WHAT!? Bear with me. Let's look at what you get... you get away from the nagging. From the curfews. You get to be your own person, finally. Right? And I know that I sound like an arrogant prick for thinking it, but honestly, your mind is your playground. You can be anyone you want, do anything you want inside of your own mind. Now I understand that that's not enough for some people, but let's keep in mind who's writing the blog why don't we. I've been blessed with a (for the most part) happy household, and I know that some of you aren't so lucky. Don't take offense to my opinions, because that's all they are, is opinions. They only become something more when you let them.

Am I excited? No. But I guess I'm just not that excitable. Awards don't excite me. You know, those ones I've dedicated my entire life to earning? They don't excite me. I like to have them, I'd feel bad not getting them, but do they excite me? No.

I don't really have a point that I'm reaching towards right now... just some thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love picturing the reactions to your answer!

    ReplyDelete