Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Thursday, May 31, 2007

There is Another

Where does it come from? It's not always from a father to a son. Maybe it skips a generation, maybe ten, who knows? But there was a Somewhere and there was a When and you are not alone.

Are there no firsts then? Of course there are. But what are the chances that you're it? Slim. I used to think I was. But the realists says those chances are too small, and the idealist asks why does it matter? It doesn't.

But there is another! There was another... Someone I'll never know. Someone I'll never talk with. But they are there, in my past, their very actions setting the universe down a path that allows for this - my life, my breath, my words.

But then part of me says no. Do it on your own, learn from experience. And I know that they felt the same way too. But they are there.

According to biblical references and insinuations (none of which are completely trustworthy, as they are interpreted by man) we have been around on this planet for at least 6000 years or so. Scientific findings suggest otherwise, an immensely larger number. Therefore, it is safe to assume that 6000 is a minimum timeline of the life of Man.

In that time, it could have been anyone. Life expectancy today is high, but let's be forgiving. Say life expectancy stayed at a constant of 50, and a new generation happened every 25 years. 6000/25 is 240. That's 240 generations, 240 ancestors, and that's only counting the one side of the family. Double it. That's 480. And all the variables in between... it could be anybody. Say something happened every ten generations. That still leaves 48 people like you. See, we are far from alone, and somewhere they are watching, hoping that you represent them to your fullest, because they have reached the end of the world, and they know what it means.

There is, at the very least, one other.

1 comment: