Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's Not Working, Is It?

Well, is it? I suppose I'd have to evaluate the intent first, wouldn't I? What is the intent?

I've always claimed it was to help people. Who? Everyone? Myself?

I guess you could call me some sort of arrogant. Daring to believe that what I have to say is worth hearing. It takes a lot of sacrifice. And who am I to save the world?

Even if I could, not enough eyes see, not enough heads are turned. Not enough people care.

Patience is a virtue but after a while, don't you wonder if that train is ever going to pull into the station? If I was a realist I'd say don't wait for trains without schedules. If I was an idealist I'd say just hold on - good things are never derailed.

But I'm neither. I'm both. I'm a Dominist. But what does it mean? I started reading the first few chapters of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s Cat's Cradle. In the first few pages, Vonnegut begins to describe Bokononism (the name doesn't roll off the tongue well, and I'm not sure if it's a real practice or not, having read only the first few pages). He talkes about the karass, or "a group of people who, often unknowingly, are working together to do God's will." My immediate reaction was to think of Dominism as one such karass. But Vonnegut is talking about a spiritual link, and I'm talking about a very real, tangible one.

Mine deals in ideas, in foundations where his seems to deal in whims and chance. Granted, I have yet to read the book so my conclusion-jumping may end with me looking the fool, but nevertheless it allows me to more concretely see what it is that I'm trying to do.

P.S. I will not let my father ruin me.

So what are the unifying ideas? What's the point? It seems to me, upon cursory inspection, that the realm of Dominism is the haven for those who don't feel as if they belong to anything. Those who can't decide whether they're outgoing or shy. Those who make a habit of answering "it depends."

And the more I think about it, the more I realize that there is no unifying ideal. There is no main point. Dominism is simply a set of answers to all the questions wherein one of us could only previously answer "It depends on the situation."

Do people need Dominism? Do they want it? Do we care? It depends. Keep in mind that I bear no sarcasm. These are the questions we must answer, because they alone determine the future of the project.

Thanks for standing by.

3 comments:

  1. Why, dear friend, would you ever think it's not working?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is good. Your efforts will pay off eventually. This way you can look back someday and remember how hard it was to get started and to get across to others. You'll look back at all the effort you put into all this and remember how much fun you had without realizing it. You don't need to worry whether its working or not as long as you enjoy doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. So I forgot your blog URL but I knew the main name so I googled it. It came up with a myspace link that listed you under her HEROS section. I thought of Askews class. How weird is that. Does that freak you out that someone you probably don't know call you their hero? Freaky. Well hope you have a good summer. Maybe see you around campus next year.

    Ashley S.

    ReplyDelete