Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Comedy or Tragedy?

The world is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.
— Horace Walpole

I couldn't disagree more. I think Mr. Walpole got it backwards. Why, if this is true, then what about ignorance is bliss? These two are in direct contradiction, because if ignorance is bliss it can be assumed that knowledge brings grief. And if knowledge brings grief, then how can the world be a comedy to those who think?

And on another note - what about all of the statements about following your bliss? (The correlation between this quote and the last is a complete and utter coincidcence and bears no scientific importance) Do what your heart tells you. It seems that in our world the pursuit of knowledge is discouraged. Do what makes you happy. These are all feeling things, and now they're supposed to make life a tragedy? I don't think so.

But maybe Mr. Walpole's on to something here. See, I've been generalizing, assuming that he meant this quote for the masses... but what if he intended to reach a minority of the people. The ones who will take the time to think about it. To think about it... which, when you think about it, is pretty funny. It's like he put a secret message inside of his own quotation. Whether or not he meant it, it's there now. And now I've got to figure out what it means.

So I'll start by applying this quote to my own life instead of to life in general.

To think is to find humor, and to feel is to feel pain? Yeah, that pretty much applies to my life. Of course, to feel in spite of pain is the idea, and another story entirely, but this is completely logical now.

To feel you place yourself in a position to be harmed. To care for something whether it's your family, your friends, or the feel of cool air in your face... All of these things have the potential to dissapear, and that's why they open the world to tragedy.

But to think is eternal. To think is to analyze, and the best jokes are the ones you have to think about, right? This is a kickback to anti-life. Where things get so bad that it's funny. It's an idea I made up with some of my friends, and very few people understand it. But it was our way of moving on, of getting along. We'd laugh it off, and it felt so good. High on anti-life. And it wasn't depressing, or sad, or TRAGIC at all. It was just our momentary state of being. It was how we felt in spite of pain.

Life is funny, but I guess that's just because I think about it too much... I've changed my mind. This quote is now full of win. Maybe I just like it because it flys in the face of other famous quotes. New Year's Resolution has made me kinda rebellious like that.

1 comment: