Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Good Guys Finish Last

Only because they let it happen.

A couple years ago, hell, a couple weeks ago I would have agreed with this age old saying. And you know why? Because the evidence is stacked that way. But good guys finish last because they're told that they do. It's all mental games.

Empty words, I know. Anybody can stand before you and say "It's all in your head." The true leaders are the ones who give you reason, who lead by example. So let me show you now, as I am one such leader, an example of what I mean. Where is this infamous phrase heard the most? Relationships.

I don't know the workings of the female mind, so I can only guess as to their motivations, but I think I won't be too far off the mark. This story starts as all of these stories do...

First, there's a girl. This girl is attractive by the very nature of her character and personality. She's involved in the community, she loves people in general, and she's got a great sense of humor.

Secondly, there is a guy. This guy is, by all means of the word, nice. He respects women, he stays away from drugs, from alcohol, from sexual intercourse. He's responsible to the point where he could love a woman to the greatest extent possible, and provide as well. It is made known to the girl that he is intrested in her. Unfortunately, our story doesn't end there.

Because there's always another guy. This guy is, by all means of the word, cool. He has lots of friends, he has lots of fun, he goes to parties and doesn't seem to think about his future. Now, he's not a drug addict or an alcoholic by any means, but he can't seem to take much seriously. He doesn't realize that he's not the kind of guy who could provide for a woman, and even if he did he probably wouldn't care. Did I mention he wears brand name clothes and drives a nice car? (Oops, I just stereotyped. Sorry.)

And, dissapointingly, the story (in reality, not in movies) always concludes with some form of the girl choosing the fun guy over the nice guy, maybe because she wants to live up her youth, maybe because she's afraid of being stuck with a good guy and never experiencing anything else. The reasons don't matter.

And after such a long introduction I've finally reached the point of my story. If the girl chooses the party guy, if she chooses to look at the outside instead of the inside, did the good guy really finish last? Or did he come in first?

We never lose if we always resovle ourselves to victory.

1 comment:

  1. I liked it. The last bit about questioning of he really lost, very good point.
    I had a small talk with my friend Danny who I work at Y with about this. He's a nice guy. Not the Nice Guy you described, but sweet I guess. He doesn't understand why "quality girls" (not hoes, Christian [though the meaning of that word is used rather loosely by Danny's standards to be honest]) hook up with guys that hurt them. I thought they weren't really "quality girls" if they had poor enough character to affect their judgement so much that they still chose guys that would do them harm, and know beforehand those guys would most likely act that way. And so therefore I believed he wasn't coming out behind because if a girl chose him, then she would be "quality girl."
    Yeh.
    Here's a question:
    Why do people care so much about being in a relationship? I get the whole wanting to be EXTRAimportant to one person and that stuff. But what does it really come down to? Best friends and things like that don't seem to satisfy that desire.
    Hmm.
    I dunno.

    ReplyDelete