Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Monday, April 30, 2007

What's in a Name?

Some people call me Matthew. I don't know why. Well, I know why. It is my legal name. But I'm still a bit taken aback when I hear it used. It doesn't bother me - call me what you will, I will always be Me. But Matthew? It's so formal. Isn't it? There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not one to parade about in suits all day. I don't know

Some people call me Matt. That's my name. My name name, the one people use. It's kind of short and to the point... only four letters. But hey, that's all I need. It's also fairly brusque... it's got sharp edges everywhere. Sharp like my wit. I hope that doesn't drive people away. But I can't be bothered if it does...

Matt Lund! They say that's my full name, but it's not. It's full enough for them. Doesn't take much of Matt Lund to overfill that cup. Oddly... this name is more used and heard than Matt by itself. That's because this one is stranger friendly. Anybody can get away with using the Full Name Clause. It amuses me when people I barely know use my full name. It's like they want to be in on some grand joke somewhere, and I'm it. Which, while shallow, is kind of neat.

Now, my name in Hebrew or Greek or something of that nature means "Gift of God." Obviously God didn't part the clouds on the day of my birth and say "hey, world. Check this kid out!" But he did make me... so there's that.

A very few people call me ML10. It's simple. It's an abbreviated form of "Matt Lund + 10," which means... nothing really. It's just a way we say we're cool. Or powerful. Or... yeah, that's pretty much it. After performing my MLK speech (Identity) a friend decided that MLK stood for Matt Lund 1000. That's apparently my power level, and while it's not quite over nine thousand, it's pretty good.

Some people call me Dom. Dommy. Dominic.

And this is my way to wrap up this piece. Poorly, and without conclusion.

2 comments:

  1. It would appear that you have built it and they have come. Unless that's somebody you know in "RL".

    Anyways, on to the matter at hand! Names.... oh boy it's quite a topic. Interestingly enough I share an attribute in that people like to call me by my "full name" as well. One is just that I think John Echols flows nicely and people enjoy saying it (conceited, yes, I know). The second, and probably more driving reason is that if one says my full name rather quickly it resembles the pronunciation of a part of the male anatomy... people find that funny and rather catchy... and hey, if my name is known, I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you define the meaning of your name by the way people react to it when it is said

    ReplyDelete

Labels