Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Sunday, October 26, 2008

C: Windswept

Windswept

I have to say, as you might already know, that I have a strange fascination with ships. Like, almost any kind of ships. But mostly 18/19th century ships (and spaceships).

You'll see the line "We are the most who we fear others to know," which is one that I think I've used in multiple places... I don't know. I like it. I'm not sure how much truth rings in it, but since when have writers cared whether what they say is true or not?

This poem suffers, I think, from the change in direction from stanza one to stanzas two and three. What was a poem with beautifully striking imagery (this is indisputable) became a narrative, a storyline. I don't think it comes off well. But there's something to be salvaged there.

As far as the captain's speech, if it's not working for you, just imagine it read by Sean Bean, because that's how I wrote it. By the way, he was by far one of the best actors in the entire LotR trilogy, and I want to see more of him. But he's always stuck in minor parts where he dies before the halfway point. :P

I suppose I also drew much of my influence from Master and Commander... which is both an amazing movie and book. Experience both, I command you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels