Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Perspective

I've heard people talk about life as a big mystery. A large puzzle that needs to be solved, or a maze without exits. A box of chocolates maybe.

But life isn't any one of these things. Life cannot be contained to a singular definition. And as much as I hate to say it, life is based on perspective. Whatever you think, is. Whatever you believe, is.

If you choose not to think, if you choose not to believe, you've made the same choice as anyone else. Doing that does however tend to muck up the works, and I've watched people around me suffer, struggle, and suffocate.

That's why I choose to believe in something. No matter what they say, I will always believe it. Not because they're wrong - not at all. In fact, it's because they're quite right. My religion is quite restrictive. My personal beliefs are quite restrictive. But I find that I am defined within it, whether or not I'm feeling 100%. I always have at least one place to go back to.

People argue against the existance of God because there is no solid proof. I say all the more reason to believe. Why would you want to believe in something solid, something real? The more real something is, the more interactive it is, and as such it gains a certian level of threat.

Of course these aren't my reasons for believing. I'd rather not try to apply logic to something so blatantly illogical. Which makes the entire search for proof riddiculous in the first place. Believe or don't, but do neither according to science. The only thing science has to do with it is the way in which the chemicals in your brain interpret messages from the world around you and align them with your personal beliefs. That's science. Not the flying spaghetti monster. Saying that if a man can believe in something without proof (like God) then he can believe in anything without proof? That's absurd and childish, and they know it.

But hey, that's their perspective, and mine is that they're stupid.

I wish I could be like Derrial Book. "I don't care what you believe. Just believe in it!"

But I do care. And I'll never stop professing my beliefs. I'll never be imposing, and I'll never get up in your face, but you will know where I stand and if you ask me a question I will answer it.

And because it's all up to perspective, that's really all I can do.

1 comment: