Few people realize that man has already attained immortality; it's merely been abused, forgotten, and renamed Writing. -Brian Egan

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Most Valuable Thing

Once again I find myself before a blinking cursor, staring at a blank screen. Why? It's been too long. It hasn't even been a week.

Call it hopeless romanticism. Call it obsession. Call it what you will.

I am of the firm belief that this is the most valuable thing I've done with my life.

And I think about that statement, and I can't think of a single event that tops it. The script comes close, but that never went anywhere (though it will, by God). What else have I even done with my life? I've done no mission work, I haven't helped any starving children.

Aha. Counselling might come close. Counselling friends through troubling times.

But what am I doing here? Counselling the masses, right? And oddly enough, those same friends I once counselled don't even care to read this.

Okay, okay. Maybe I'm not being specific enough. I'm not tailoring my responses to the individual. And yet my email is open, my comments are open, my phone number (for those who know it) is open. And nothing. So that's a stretch, to excuse my lack of readers on ambiguity. Because let's face it. I've been pulling stuff out of nowhere for almost a year now, and I'd rather not find out that this road has a violent end to it.

You can do your part to keep that from happening. I'm serious. Tell people, tell friends. Tell them they don't even have to read my writing. All it takes are people talking to me and allowing me to respond. I'm afraid that I'll run out of things to say. I'm afraid that I never had any potential here in the first place. I'm afraid that I'll fail at something I truly care about. How I measure my success is a mystery to me, but it is there all the same.

Because this is the single most valuable thing I've done with my life. Don't let it be for nothing.

4 comments:

  1. It won't be for nothing. If you can share the most valuable thing that you've done with your life with the world then that is definately something, especially when you inpsire people to make something that will become valuable to their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will never come to the end of that road. There will always be something for you to write about. We all have to start somewhere, you have found your niche here. You have started something wonderful and if you are thinking that all of your efforts have gone to waste, you are terribly wrong.
    You have given some of the best advice I’ve ever been told in my life. Your words have inspired me to do things that I would normally not touch upon. You are someone that I will always turn to, hath I ever be confronted with something out of my league.
    Patience. An audience of your desire takes time to accumulate. You will have those ears to talk to and those voices to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You doubt yourself... while in itself this can be a good thing, it's unsubstantiated here. People read, people listen, people change believe it or not because of you. I know I am... however, since you mentioned chats, I do believe we are past due for a good one.

    I know you'll never stop writing. Perhaps this blog will come to an end, but only in lieu of greater things. We have faith in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be more assertive then, dammit! :P <3

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Archive